Mechanical keyboards are assumed to last longer, in the case of high-quality stuff they can survive for decades for that long a time you need to properly manage and prevent your mechanical keyboard from dust and grim. Dust can greatly harm your mechanical keyboard switches and PCB board and lead to mechanical keyboard expiry. That is the reason why it is necessary to learn how to clean a mechanical keyboard. There are three different techniques to clean a mechanical keyboard that is described in detail below.
Table of Contents
Techniques to Clean a Mechanical Keyboard
In order to clean a mechanical keyboard, there are three different types of cleaning techniques. According to their clean level, these techniques are classified into three types.
- Light Cleaning
- Deep Cleaning
- Cleaning of Mechanical Keyboard After a Liquid Spill
These are the three major types of mechanical keyboard cleaning now we are going to discuss them all in detail.
You have to clean your mechanical keyboard once a week because dust can create critical problems to your mechanical keyboard leading to keyboard failure so it is recommended that you clean your mechanical keyboard once a week to save your keyboard from critical errors and to get the best performance but it is very hard to clean a mechanical keyboard every weak thoroughly that was the reason experts introduced a new method of mechanical keyboard clean named as light cleaning. In this method, keyboard cleaning includes removing of newly added dust by cleaning its upper surface usually. So let’s begin
- Unplug your mechanical keyboard
- Rub a small brush among keys to remove dust. You can also use a vacuum cleaner to remove the dust.
- After removing dust from the keyboard, wipe it out using a damp microfiber cloth, wipe each and every part of your mechanical keyboard.
- Dry mechanical keyboard by using another cloth, if your mechanical keyboard has a metallic case then dry water carefully because water can lead to metallic rust. Or it can ruin the paint of your mechanical keyboard.
- At the end-use any disinfectant item to kill and remove germs from your mechanical keyboard.
- It is the simplest method of cleaning a mechanical keyboard that can follow anyone. So clean your mechanical keyboard once a week or at least once a month using a light cleaning method.
There is not only dust in your environment that can ruin the mechanical keyboard, oils from your hands, small paper parts, remains of food or something, and small objects can enter into your mechanical keyboard and that can lead to keyboard failure. In normal these objects cannot be cleaned using light cleaning methods because it is limited to only dust removals. To remove and clean your mechanical keyboard from these particles you have to follow a deep cleaning method to clean a mechanical keyboard.
1. Unplug your mechanical keyboard.
2. Remove Keycaps
To remove keycaps from your mechanical keyboard use a key puller to remove keycaps. Detach every keycap from your mechanical keyboard carefully. But take a picture of your mechanical keyboard before removing keycaps because it becomes very hard to reassemble these keycaps in the right manner.
3. Clean Keycaps
After removing all the keycaps, now take them in a container and wash them all. Take water in that container, mix some soap or cleaning agent in water and add disinfectant into water that will kill germs. After two to three hours take keycaps out from the water and brush each keycap individually. The last step is again to clean keycaps using a piece of cloth and let these keycaps dry in the fresh air.
4. Clean Switches
Often dust or small objects get into the switches and create different problems so it becomes necessary to clean these switches to get gaming level performance from your mechanical keyboard. First, rub a small brush lightly on and among these switches and then vacuum switches completely and clean them completely. After that clean switches and their environmental surface using a slightly damp cloth. Be careful no water should be around the switches because water can greatly ruin your mechanical keyboard.
5. Vacuum the plate
After successfully cleaning the switches, now clean the rest of the plate. Usually, the plate will be cleaned along with the switches but it doesn’t then clean it. Use a vacuum cleaner and then rub it with a damp fresh cloth.
6. Clean External Case of Mechanical Keyboard
Use a damp cloth and clean the external shell of your mechanical keyboard and then dry it at the end. Use any antibiotic agent to kill germs from it.
Wait to dry keycaps and then move on to the next step.
Put all dried keycaps back to the mechanical keyboard. Caution, users often forget the true order of these keycaps, assemble them according to the picture of your mechanical keyboard that we have taken at the start. Now you have cleaned your mechanical keyboard completely. hp
Clean a Mechanical Keyboard After a Liquid Spill
Water is a dangerous enemy of mechanical keyboards because it can ruin mechanical keyboards in seconds by just touching them for a few minutes. So it becomes necessary to clean your mechanical keyboard if water was accidentally spilled on your mechanical keyboard. Here we will discuss basic points to clean your mechanical keyboard after a water spill, for a detailed article visit are mechanical keyboards are waterproof. In order to clean your mechanical keyboard after a water spill then follows eleven simple DIY steps given below. Without wasting any more time let’s begin
- Unplug the mechanical keyboard.
- Wipeout excess water from your mechanical keyboard.
- Remove all keycaps.
- Again clean excess water from the keyboard.
- Open mechanical keyboard case.
- Disassemble each and everything from your mechanical keyboard
- Now dry water from the keyboard, using a soaking cloth or anything else.
- Wait for 24 hours.
- Clean your mechanical keyboard according to the method given above.
- Reassemble your mechanical keyboard.
- Plug the mechanical keyboard into computer and test.
These are the eleven simple steps to clean your mechanical keyboard if accidentally water spilled on it.