Are you looking for ABS keycaps for your keyboard for excellent productivity and comfort? Then you are at the right place. Today we are going to discuss what are ABS keycaps and how ABS keycaps can make your keyboard extraordinary and productive.
Table of Contents
What is an ABS Keycap?
ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) is a type of plastic that has been used in making many different products, including car parts, furniture, home appliances, toys, etc. It is also known as nitrile rubber or NBR. This material is very durable and strong, which makes it perfect for use in keyboards. The ABS plastic is not only resistant to scratches but also extremely lightweight.
The ABS keycaps are made from this material and come in various colors such as black, white, blue, red, green, yellow, purple, pink, grey, silver, orange, brown, and more.
Why use ABS Keycaps?
There are many reasons why you should choose ABS keycaps over other types of caps like Cherry MX, Gateron, Kailh, etc. Here are some of them:
- Durability – ABS keycaps are much stronger than regular ones. They will last longer and won’t break easily, unlike other types of keycaps.
- Comfort – These keycaps have a softer feel when typing on them compared to the normal ones. These keys will give you a comfortable feeling while typing.
- Easy installation – Unlike Cherry MX, Gaterons, and Kailh, Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene keycaps do not require any special tools or hardware to install them. You can simply remove the old ones and replace them with new ones.
- Compatibility – These keycaps are compatible with all major brands of keyboards. So if you want to upgrade your keyboard, then you don’t need to worry about compatibility issues because they are compatible with almost every brand out there.
- Price – If you are worried about the price of these keycaps, then you shouldn’t because these are one of the most affordable options available. In fact, they cost less than half of the price of the other types of keycaps mentioned above.
So now that you know what ABS keycaps are, you can start using them on your computer keyboard. Let us know in the comment section below if you have ever tried ABS caps before. Do you prefer Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene caps over other kinds of keycaps? And what are your favorite colors?
How do ABS Keycaps Sound?
It is impossible to describe how ABS keycaps sound but by an audio file it is possible. Below audio of the sound test of Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene keycaps is attached.
What are the drawbacks of using ABS keycaps?
There are no real downsides associated with ABS keycaps. However, there are some things to consider:
- Weight – ABS keycaps are much lighter than their counterparts. This means that they will take up less space on your keyboard.
- Noise – It makes a lot of noise while being pressed. This may bother people around you.
- Scratches – These keycaps are prone to scratching. This is especially true if you place them on rough surfaces such as wood or metal.
These are a few disadvantages or cons of using Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene keycaps.
Do all keycaps fit all switches
No, ABS keycaps do NOT fit all switches. The only way to find out which switch fits which keycap is to try them out. There are different brands of switches that use different materials. Therefore, each type of switch has its own unique characteristics. For example, some switches may be more prone to wear and tear than others. This means that certain keycaps might work better with those switches than others.
Are ABS keycaps Worth it?
It depends on your preference. Some people love the softness of the ABS keycaps, while others prefer the durability and strength of the other types of keys. If you are looking for something that is both durable and soft, then an ABS keycap would be perfect for you.
How do I stop my ABS keycaps from shining
You don’t really need to worry about your ABS caps getting shiny. In fact, most keycaps come pre-shined anyway. You can easily remove the shine by rubbing them with a cloth.
How long does ABS Keycap last
The lifespan of ABS caps varies depending on the brand and model. Most manufacturers claim that these keycaps last about five years.
Is ABS plastic bad for keycaps?
ABS plastic is relatively new compared to the older plastics used for making caps. As such, the ABS keycap tends to be softer and more flexible than the older versions. While this makes them comfortable to hold, it also makes them susceptible to damage. Because of this, the ABS keycap should not be used for long periods of time. They are best suited for short-term usage.
How to Install ABS Keycaps
Installing ABS keycaps is pretty easy and straightforward. All you need to do is follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer. For example, if you buy the keycap set from Coolermaster, you just need to unscrew the old caps and insert the new ones.
However, if you purchase them online, you must first download their user manual. Once you have downloaded the user manual, you will be able to see all the information regarding the keycap set you bought. From there, you can simply navigate to the “installation” guide and follow the instructions. Click here to read about what are PBT Keycaps.
When I was looking into buying a new keyboard, I wanted to get something that would last me for a long time. After doing my research, I found out that ABS keycaps were the best option for me. They are durable, cheap, and come in many different colors. On top of that, they are also very easy to install and use.
So if you are planning on purchasing a new keyboard, ABS keycaps are definitely worth considering. What are your thoughts about ABS keycap? Are you going to try them out yourself? Share your experience with us in the comments section below!